Laptop buying guide in India
Laptop buying guide in India. Buying a laptop is not that simple. It is a one-time investment. So before you buy a laptop, you should know few key terms. This page will give you maximum details about how to buy a laptop. It will guide you what to consider and what not to.
Steps to puchase A Laptops:
3. Brands and their warranty period
5. Recommended laptop’s H/W walk-through
6. Operating system
It is divided into three lists:
- Light use – web surfing, paying bills online, e-mail, social networks, sharing photos.
- Average use – storing and streaming music and movies, works like spreadsheet and document creation.
- Demanding use – multitasking with multi tabs and programs, graphics, photo editing, and video editing.
Money always matters, if you are investing money, then invest it for the right one.
Plan your “MONEY” to pay for your satisfaction.
Purpose always defines your budget.
So decide, why you will be buying a laptop for?
Once after purchasing a laptop, a few days/months later if you change your mind/feel that you
Would have bought a laptop for another purpose, then it’s a waste of money/dead investment. So choose your purpose “WISELY”.
3. BRANDS AND THEIR WARRANTY PERIOD:-
• Every laptop is susceptible to accidents and system failures.
• So it’s better to go for a longer warranty than the usual warranty.
• Check for international warranty rather than local warranty – particularly useful for travelers.
• I recommend, if available it is worth paying for an extended 3-year warranty.
Pros of an online purchase:
1. Cheap price
2. Various models and design
3. Cash on delivery
4. Cancellation policy (etc.)
Cons of an online purchase:
1. You will have to wait for 2-3 days.
2. Can’t touch and feel the laptop like you do in the local stores.
3. Sometimes pictures/description are misleading.
4. Returns are more difficult than in local stores (etc.)
Pros of offline purchase:
1. The laptop is with you right away.
2. You can touch and feel the laptop.
3. Get quick service.
4. Easy to return the laptop, if you find any issue in the laptop (etc.)
Cons of offline purchase:
1. Less variety of choice.
2. Sometimes too costly (when compared to online.)
3. Compulsive Shopping
4. Need to walk from store to store for our right selection (etc.)
You decide – Both online and offline have their own pros and cons. You have to make your mind whether to go online or offline.
5. RECOMMENDED LAPTOP’S H/W WALK-THROUGH:-
Factors to consider about RAM
1. Types of RAM
3. Number of slots used
4. Form factor
2 GB RAM – Absolutely entry level.
4 GB RAM – Where everyone should start.
8 GB RAM – Recommended for tackling all multiple tasks just fine.
16 GB RAM – High level best and effective performance (Next generation).
Laptop buying guide in India, currently the battle is going on between Intel and AMD
1. Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor.
2. Intel i3 Processor.
3. Intel i5 Processor.
4. Intel i7 Processor.
There are 2-types of HDD
1. HDD – Usual hard disk (slower in performance but cheaper than SSD)
2. SSD – Solid State Drive (3-times faster and costlier than HDD)
For “LONG AND LARGE STORAGE” go for Hard Disk (HDD).
Incase if you want “HIGH-SPEED PERFORMANCE” go for SSD.
Factors to consider about HDD
1. Rotation Speed
2. Seek time
4. Form factor
5. Drop detection
6. Operating volume
7. Power consumption
2TB Hard Disk – gives a large capacity to store but slower in performance & often cost more.
4TB Hard Disk – will be lesser in cost when compared with 2TB Hard Disk and performance will also be better than 2TB Hard Disk.
500GB Hard Disk – cheaper than 2TB Hard Disk & 4TB Hard Disk, and gives the best performance.
“LARGER THE STORAGE SPACE LONGER THE TIME TO SEARCH, LESSER THE STORAGE SPACE LESSER THE TIME TO SEARCH”.
SCREEN SIZE & RESOLUTION:-
12″/13″ (inch) screen offers a good battery life if usage is mainly between home & office.
14″/15.6″ (inch) screen offers a better display and laptop is occasionally carried around.
15.6″/17″ (inch) screen offers a powerful display for gamers, photo/video editors (mostly kept in one place).
RESOLUTION (Horizontal x Vertical pixels):-
1) 1366 x 768 – known as HD. Good for web surfing, e-mail & general tasks.
2) 1600 x 900 – known as HD+. Good for games & movies.
3) 1920 x 1080 – known as FULL HD. Good for games & movies without losing any level of detail.
4) 2560 x 1600 & 2880 x 1800 – known as RETINA DISPLAY found in Apple laptops.
5) 2560 x 1440 & 3200 x 1800 – known as QHD (Quad HD) & QHD+. Extremely high pixel density.
Pixel – is the smallest unit of a digital image that can be displayed on a variety of screen.
I will put it simple for you.
Screen Size – Bigger the image/video you want to see, Bigger the screen size you need to have.
Resolution of screen – Sharper and crystal clear image/video you want to see, more the number of pixels (resolution) you need to have.
Bigger the screen size – less will be power without the plug.
Lesser the screen size – more will be the power without the plug.
Note: particularly useful for travelers.
Ports & Drives:-
Make sure you have enough ports on your laptop.
– USB 3.0 is faster than USB 2.0
– Headphone/mic port
– Ethernet port
– HDMI port
– Media-card slot
– DVD-RW (with 52X speed)
POWER WITHOUT PLUG:-
There are two things to consider,
1. mAh (milliamp hours)
2. Number of cells
• Typical batteries have a mAh rating of between 2000mAh and 6000mAh – higher is better.
• Cells are the actual compartments where power is produced and can range from
4 to 12 cells – the more is better (but the more cells you go the more will be the cost,
& you lose your laptop look, shape & style).
6. OPERATING SYSTEM:-
Most widely used Operating Systems:
1. Microsoft Windows OS
3. Unix /Unix – like OS
4. Chrome OS
Select your Operating System, based on your use.
- I hope this laptop buying gudie has helped you figure out which laptop you want to buy.
- You need to balance these features with your budget and your needs and you have to make some compromises.
- Rarely does a laptop come along that tick all the boxes, especially when it comes to price.
- Let me know in the comments below if you consider other aspects of a laptop to be more important (maybe you want better gaming performance or a rugged build) and especially let me know if you have already found the perfect laptop for your need.
Thanks for your precious time.